Uzi magwell

Everything from training tips to firearm discussion for competitors. What have you learned that you can share and what do you want to know?
Garrett

Uzi magwell

Post by Garrett » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:28 pm

Has anyone successfully designed / installed a funnel magwell on an Uzi? I've been doing reload drills with the Uzi and the M11, and the Uzi is consistently slower.

I welded a small magwell on the M11 a few years ago, and it works very well. Add to that the single-feed M11 mags are narrower at the top, so it's much easier to make a fast mag change, even if you bobble the mag a little.

I find myself getting the Uzi mag misaligned when I hit the magwell. Often one feedlip will be on the outside, and one on the inside. Practice helps, but I'll take any mechanical advantage I can get.

The problem with the Uzi is that there needs to be a little bit of a flat on the bottom of the magwell where the mag stops hit. Otherwise you would end up jamming the stops into the funnel and wedging the mag in place. Also, the side-mounted mag catch may cause something of a problem. An extended catch may help, but would still limit what you could do on that side of the magwell.

Any thoughts?

Paul Winters
What number appears twice below: 0

thoughts

Post by Paul Winters » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:55 am

In thinking about a magwell, the first thing that jumps in my head is the challenge of the mag release at the base of the hand grip. I wonder if you could adapt a magwell funnel from the USPSA/ISPC world. I shoot a Para and the magwell on it from Brownells might adapt. I would assume you would want to be able to remove it as opposed to tacking or tigging it. You might be able to have one made from thin metal stock that might fit under the grip panels and be held by the grip screw. I am sure it can be done and hopefully there is one already out there you can use. Good seeing you again.

: -)#

todd
Site Admin
What number appears twice below: 0

Post by todd » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:24 am

I am pretty sure somebody on uzitalk had made a flared out magwell for themselves but I'm pretty sure there is nothing commercial out there but perhaps it would be something barrelxchange or m60joe would be interested in undertaking if given enough incentive.

I too have issues with the fast magazine changes on the uzi and have found the only thing which helps is constant practice and muscle memory. A while back I was playing with various mag change techniques and I started messing around with using the base of my hand on the grip as a guide for the magazine. It works well if you have large hands but isn't quite the same as a nice flared magazine well. For open class it would be great!

Uzi stripped lowers are still pretty cheap so making a dedicated custom lower with a funnel magwell on it to use for open class would be great. If you end up playing around with the idea please let me know how it goes.