Why wont people come to matches?

Everything from training tips to firearm discussion for competitors. What have you learned that you can share and what do you want to know?
Spitfire_subgun
What number appears twice below: 0

Re: Why wont people come to matches?

Post by Spitfire_subgun » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:48 am

bwe firearms wrote:The only negative attitudes I have experienced so far is from Hot Lead Zapper. Attitudes like that will surely drive new people away. I want to get as many people as I can involved in subgun matches. Hopefully some will do worse then me, I hate coming in last.

Hey Richard,
We do it all the time. I came in last in Optics this month. A far cry from 2nd the month before. But I can blame it on the new base I mounted for my new sight.

Hey, But I'm not gonna sugar coat it, It will take some time. As you get familiar with the your equipment and gear. It will become second nature as how to handle your manipulations and clearing any malfunctions. And as you do you will get better with your firearm You will find out what it doesn't like but you will find out what it does like and you will capitalize on that.

Also it takes time to get into the game and plan your approach to each stage. You NEED to listen at the early the early walk through's. That is the time to get your head into the game not to BS with the other guys. Watch them, you'll see the game is on, right then and there.

Have you shown those guys any video's we have uploaded?
Spitfire_subgun

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:32 am

Richard you are a breath of fresh air at the matches and I always enjoying seeing you. I find pleasure in watching new competitors and how they react to the various scenarios. You're a good shot and the simple fact of coming in last is that it reminds you of the direction you have to go and it pushes you. All you are missing is experience and you are doing exactly what you need to get it.

I learned long ago that I'm not competing against anyone but myself. I know what I am capable of on a good day when I do everything right so the challenge for me is to try to make those days happen with more frequency each and every year.

The first 1 1/2 years I competed I ran past more targets than you can imagine and I shot more no shoots than I care to remember. That's the name of the game man and the only way to beat it is for you to get control of you.

One day your head and your body will be in tune with what needs to be done and you'll shoot the match of your life. It's just a matter of when.

-Todd

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:38 am

On another note.. this back and forth off the topic has to come to an end. HLZ I respect you and your right to free speech but come on.. You are pissed.. you have some issues from the past.. I get it, I think everyone gets it. Lets move on.. forward.. progress. Spitfire please refrain from the personal jabs.

I'm going to ask that everyone please focus their energy on solutions and insight instead of digging up the past and opening old wounds. HLZ if you want hash out the past to help find out where things went sour I'd love to hear it all.. Just start a new thread and lets leave Richards topic alone.

-Todd

bwe firearms

Post by bwe firearms » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:18 am

I do realize I will get better with time but I realy want one of those cool trophies or an Uzi top cover.

My 14 year old daughter has discovered she likes shooting subguns. And now I finished my Uzi suppressor she likes it even more. Shortly she will start shooting in the matches. I am hesitant to let her come for a few reasons. First I'm afraid she'll beat me her first time out. And secondly I don't trust you guys around her.

She need to get more trigger time so she is more familiar with the equipment. I am starting to make some steel targets so we can practice which will help.

If she want to shoot in the matches is it better to let her shoot now and learn the equipment as she goes or should I make sure she knows how to use the equipment first? If I let her shoot in a match can I be with her when she shoots each stage to make sure she doesn't have any AD's or anything?

My 10 year old son will be shooting in the matches before to long if he wants but he needs to calm down a little before that. Everytime I hand him a gun he just wants to empty the magazine, he doesn't care if he hits anything.
Richard
Gunsmith/Class 2 Manufacturer

BWE Firearms & Uzi HQ
Longwood, FL
(407) 592-3975
Richard@bwefirearms.com
http://www.bwefirearms.com
http://www.UziParts.com

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:31 am

bwe firearms wrote:I do realize I will get better with time but I realy want one of those cool trophies or an Uzi top cover.

My 14 year old daughter has discovered she likes shooting subguns. And now I finished my Uzi suppressor she likes it even more. Shortly she will start shooting in the matches. I am hesitant to let her come for a few reasons. First I'm afraid she'll beat me her first time out. And secondly I don't trust you guys around her.
We'll you should be concerned about reason #1. Reason #2 I wouldn't be too worried about unless she has a birth defect in the form of a Keg of Beer on her back.
bwe firearms wrote: She need to get more trigger time so she is more familiar with the e
quipment. I am starting to make some steel targets so we can practice which will help.

If she want to shoot in the matches is it better to let her shoot now and learn the equipment as she goes or should I make sure she knows how to use the equipment first? If I let her shoot in a match can I be with her when she shoots each stage to make sure she doesn't have any AD's or anything?
She should be familiar with the equipment so she knows how to safely use and transport it on the range. My wifes eye opening moment was when I walked her through taking off the top cover of the uzi and breaking it down to clean. She had a "that's it!?" moment when she realized the whole gun is about 4 parts and no magical gnomes in there with hammers making the bullets come out.
bwe firearms wrote: My 10 year old son will be shooting in the matches before to long if he wants but he needs to calm down a little before that. Everytime I hand him a gun he just wants to empty the magazine, he doesn't care if he hits anything.
Did you name him Dillinger? :lol:

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:47 pm

bwe firearms wrote: If she want to shoot in the matches is it better to let her shoot now and learn the equipment as she goes or should I make sure she knows how to use the equipment first?
She can learn a lot through practice and by running drills. But by actually shooting matches, she will likely learn more, faster. It would give her a more clearly defined focus when practicing.

As long as she can safely handle the gun, let her run, and learn from her experiences.
bwe firearms wrote: My 10 year old son will be shooting in the matches before to long if he wants but he needs to calm down a little before that. Everytime I hand him a gun he just wants to empty the magazine, he doesn't care if he hits anything.
Maybe shooting some matches would also help give him the focus he needs to concentrate on hitting, and not just blasting.