Hugging the barricades

Everything from training tips to firearm discussion for competitors. What have you learned that you can share and what do you want to know?
todd
Site Admin
What number appears twice below: 0

Hugging the barricades

Post by todd » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:51 am

One thing which this past Knob Creek even demonstrated was the time savings for a competitor who does not push their muzzle through a window or door opening but instead keeps it outside the frame. Many shooters feel they need to get right up against an obsticle because it is there and as a result they spend time pulling their firearm out of the window. If it takes you 1 second combined to put your muzzle in and then pull it out of a window and the stage has 4 windows you just lost quite a bit of time to the guy who didn't.

I thought all of my runs were away from the barricate but in fact a few I had the suppressor or muzzle in the window.

Some KCR Oct 2006 Videos

Icer

Post by Icer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:30 pm

Todd---

Always cracks me up to see new pistol shooters going deep into a port, then spending all that time backing back out. Gets really amusing on the smaller ports when they lose the front sight off the gun when it hits the top of the port.

I watched your videos from the KCR match.............would you like another tip????

---Icer

VegasSMG

Re: Hugging the barricades

Post by VegasSMG » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:43 pm

todd wrote:I thought all of my runs were away from the barricate but in fact a few I had the suppressor or muzzle in the window. [/url]
I noticed that right away in one of the photos that Dave posted on U.T. I know better than that hanging my gun out windows but don't always follow what I know....

When Icer speaks, I listen.

Edited to add; Looks like you made one too many standing reloads. You're better than that run todd!
Last edited by VegasSMG on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:47 pm

Icer wrote:Todd---
I watched your videos from the KCR match.............would you like another tip????

---Icer
Always! What do you see?

HK Shooter

Post by HK Shooter » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:07 pm

Todd, these are great videos. It really helps to see my own run and compare that to Andy's or yours. These are great training tools!

Icer

Post by Icer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:35 pm

Todd---

Like VegasSMG pointed out the standing reloads killed you on both the open bolt run (2) and especially the closed bolt run (4). Figure 2.5 seconds for a good reload and you were giving up one helluva lot of time on these stages. On a stage like this if your feet are moving you're doing a reload. Given the number and difficulty of the targets going into each port, except maybe the third one with only 3 or 4 targets to engage, you need to be topped off.

Another area to look at is target engagement order. Minimizing the number and distance of your transitions on each target array can save time as well. Also knowing where your sights will end up after the recoil of a shot may dictate how you engage the targets...........work with the recoil not against it. When you come into a port while moving from left to right you will typically see the target on the far right first...........plan to engage them in this order. Don't fight your momentum which would take you away from the far left targets, instead use that momentum to drive the front sight into the far right target.

Your movement and splits between shots seem very good although it's tough to tell without seeing the target distances and presentation up close and personal. Your response to the timer was good as well and you got the firearms up and on target quickly.

As you pointed out you were going in too deep on the ports............given the narrowness of the pathway you were running on though this is to be expected. Stepping off the path and losing your footing would have been pretty distracting.

All in all some pretty good runs. Much improved over the videos I saw of you in Florida.

If the doctor gives me the go ahead I think I'll go out and practice a bit. I think I'll need it. :)

---Icer

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:54 pm

Very good points Icer. I should have done a mag change on the move to the last shooting position on both my OB optics and CB irons run. The CB irons run however I planned the mag change on string #2. That run was my first of the competition and given the fact that there was a mandatory mag change using a magazine placed in the box at string #2 I made it a point to do a tactical reload the moment I got there as to not forget to do the mag change at all and start off the day on a sour note.

My run order was
CB Irons
CB Optics (+10 no shoot)
OB Optics (+10 no shoot)
OB Irons

I switch up order of engagement on various targets throughout the day and had I stuck to tactical order or order of movement (left to right) I possible could have picked up time. However each course dictates changesas a result of the environment. This particular event was special in the fact that the strings with the falling plates could be ran bottom to top and if you had enough power in your bullets you could knock a few extra plates down from plates hitting posts or from bullet fragments deflecting and hitting plates behind. I noticed this early on and it worked for Andy in his winning run and a few others as well. I was running 124Gr S&B the whole match except for my Mp5 run which I used FNM 147gr + suppressor.

My biggest short fall was accuracy. I'm fast as hell and my accuracy suffers as a result. I need to slow down the race horse in me some and hit what I need to 100% of the time and the rest will fall into place. Andy is a master at attaining his focus when he needs to. If you watch his runs the sht placement on the poppers was perfect and he missed less than anyone else.

Thank you for your insight Icer I appreciate it and will reread this several times as I rehash the videos in my head. I'd love to see videos of you and others shooting if you have them.

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:26 pm

Icer wrote:When you come into a port while moving from left to right you will typically see the target on the far right first...........plan to engage them in this order.
Good advice. Walk through the course prior to shooting and plan which target you will be sighting in on as you approach each shooting area.

If there is a large target, or a close/easy target, start out on that one. For example, in Todd's OB Iron run on the first array, he shot the small target next to the no-shoot first. This is a more difficult target, and takes more time to accurately sight in on. I would have started with the large poppers first and worked my way to the small plate last, even though this would require a long transition, it would likely be a bit quicker.

On the 4th array, there appears to have been a tight cluster of shoot targets. The no-shoots were positioned relatively high. On this one, it would probably be safe to let off a short burst into the bottom portion of the array while entering the shooting position. You might get 2 or 3 hits before you actually set up to start shooting the rest.