To suppress or not to suppress. What do you say and why?

Everything from training tips to firearm discussion for competitors. What have you learned that you can share and what do you want to know?
Garrett

Re: To suppress or not to suppress. What do you say and why?

Post by Garrett » Fri May 04, 2012 5:14 am

todd wrote: I know that Andy gave up on suppressed guns after there was an insane COF at KCR that had pretty much burnt the crap out of all people running suppressed. Andy was one of several who had their cans red hot and smoking. I think it was in 2009 maybe..
I don't know that it was just an "anyone with a can" issue. It seemed to be more of an integral can, ported barrel problem.

I think that was the year Andy had issues with the MKV, and Chuck had problems using the MP5-SD. I watched Chuck dump most of a mag into one popper. The barrel bled off too much gas, and the ammo didn't have enough power to push the popper over. Of course, it wasn't just that one popper. There were several like this.

By the end of the match, the integral cans were smoking.

And while the muzzle cans got pretty hot too, I don't remember anyone having an issue with them.

sillycon
What number appears twice below: 9

Post by sillycon » Fri May 04, 2012 1:23 pm

What sorts of issues were guys running into? Just the inability to take out a popper, or were there gun problems as well?
RPB M10/9

Ulwembu
What number appears twice below: 0

Post by Ulwembu » Sat May 05, 2012 3:11 am

What did Andy say after his run again to Paul W? "I didn't know this was going to be the battle of Falujah all over again!" Hehehe!!!!

medphys

Post by medphys » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:56 pm

I've been shooting with my suppressor a lot lately and today I decided that I probably won't be using mine in competition. The main reason being that it gets too darn hot, and second, it throws the balance off and seems to slow the target to target transition (not that I was ever fast though :lol: ).

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:10 pm

medphys wrote:I've been shooting with my suppressor a lot lately and today I decided that I probably won't be using mine in competition. The main reason being that it gets too darn hot, and second, it throws the balance off and seems to slow the target to target transition (not that I was ever fast though :lol: ).

For each event and even each stage the pros and cons have to be compared.I know Andy and a few other folks like hearing their hits which is why they run cans. Me personally I prefer unsuppressed at the moment and calling my shots.

medphys

Post by medphys » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:43 pm

medphys wrote:I've been shooting with my suppressor a lot lately and today I decided that I probably won't be using mine in competition. The main reason being that it gets too darn hot, and second, it throws the balance off and seems to slow the target to target transition (not that I was ever fast though :lol: ).

After a lot more back and forth with and without the suppressor, I still think I will leave it in the case for matches and keep it for backyard shooting.

Here is what I've found... my gun is fairly short and light and is easily held back against my shoulder mostly with my right hand on the grip/magwell. This leaves my left hand on the fore grip to steady the muzzle. However, with the added weight of the suppressor, my left hand needs to provide more support in the upward direction. With my hand pushing up, I loose some of the stability I had when it was sans suppressor and my groups open up. I'm sure I could learn to shoot with it and tighten up the groups, but I'm not willing to dedicate the time to that and I just plain like my gun short and light... for now.

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:58 pm

medphys wrote:

After a lot more back and forth with and without the suppressor, I still think I will leave it in the case for matches and keep it for backyard shooting.

Here is what I've found... my gun is fairly short and light and is easily held back against my shoulder mostly with my right hand on the grip/magwell. This leaves my left hand on the fore grip to steady the muzzle. However, with the added weight of the suppressor, my left hand needs to provide more support in the upward direction. With my hand pushing up, I loose some of the stability I had when it was sans suppressor and my groups open up. I'm sure I could learn to shoot with it and tighten up the groups, but I'm not willing to dedicate the time to that and I just plain like my gun short and light... for now.
The only pressure should be pulling the gun back into your shoulder with your front hand nothing should be pulling up, down or otherwise. Make sure your elbows are tucked in as well... all together it should make for a very stable platform

mp40gunner

Post by mp40gunner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:07 am

I will jump in here. I like shooting matches with my MK9K on the Uzi. I think it keeps the weapon down and like Andy, I like to hear the hits. I use 3N37 so the gas and smoke is really not an issue.

My wife doesn't like shooting with the suppressor in a match setting due to the weight in a longer stage. I also like the SRT suppressed front end I have for my Sten MKII but it is ported and just as long as an original. I have shot it at ISSMC before and did quite well with it, but it's no suppressed Sterling set up.

I like the MK9K on the MP5, M16/9mm and the Uzi, but when the Sterling finally comes home from Dave's vault this winter (I hope it clears) I will probably just leave it alone. That weapon seems excellent just the way it is IMHO.
"Get Some"

medphys

Post by medphys » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:37 am

todd wrote:The only pressure should be pulling the gun back into your shoulder with your front hand nothing should be pulling up, down or otherwise. Make sure your elbows are tucked in as well... all together it should make for a very stable platform
True. It may just be a muscle memory thing or a weak left arm ;) Unsuppressed, the muzzle end is fairly light and is easily controlled. I wonder if suppressed, the extra weigh changes the feel of the gun sufficiently to throw off my balance. More testing is in order :)

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Yeah the weight makes a big difference. Have you tried dry fire practice much ? A couple of weeks of doing it every night and it'll be second nature with the added weight. Pick a point on the wall and from a low ready or Rhodesian ready position come up on target and pull the trigger. I do this with the bolt closed and the gun in semi-auto so it clicks when I pull the trigger.

I'll be shooting 2013 suppressed so I'll have a bit more to add to this topic once I'm a few months into it. I plan on shooting both 147 and 115gr. I'm more interested in the smoothing of the action from the pressure of the can than the noise.

medphys

Post by medphys » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:43 am

There is going to be a small local match by me the Sunday before the Creek. This should provide me a good test run. I just need to remember to not grab the can when done...

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:52 am

medphys wrote: I just need to remember to not grab the can when done...
Or get yourself a can cover, in case you have to tighten the can half way through a stage.

sillycon

Post by sillycon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:04 pm

A good-quality glove on your off-hand also comes in handy for re-tightening screw-on cans when hot.
RPB M10/9

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:44 pm

medphys wrote:There is going to be a small local match by me the Sunday before the Creek. This should provide me a good test run. I just need to remember to not grab the can when done...

Batting gloves @ sports authority are cheap (15) and work well if you don't want to kick down $50 for some "shooting gloves"

medphys

Post by medphys » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Unfortunately, my suppressor is 2" and the Bower's griptastic covers only come in puke brown in the 2" version.

Batting gloves might work. I'll look into that, thanks.

Shooting gloves, dry firing, practice matches... wow, I may actually get good at this some day :D