Trijicon RMR sight

Everything from training tips to firearm discussion for competitors. What have you learned that you can share and what do you want to know?
wayne w
What number appears twice below: 9

Trijicon RMR sight

Post by wayne w » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Thinking about putting a Trijicon RMR sight on a subgun. There will be about 14" of eye relief. Recommendations wanted on what size and color of dot. Will be shooting in all types of light conditions.

Thanks
Wayne W
ORYGUN, where subguns are watercooled.

ktwm
What number appears twice below: 9

Re: Trijicon RMR sight

Post by ktwm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:29 pm

I don't see a point to having a large sized dot, unless perhaps your eye-sight might not be that good. So I would go for the smallest possible dot size.

color is a tough one, but it is hard to go wrong with red. But I do have a dot sight that can be switched between green and red, and I seem to prefer the green. But if your target was in front of some grass, the green dot may blend in some.

Garrett

Re: Trijicon RMR sight

Post by Garrett » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:36 pm

ktwm wrote:...So I would go for the smallest possible dot size...
Too small isn't that difficult to find either. I used to have an IPSC race gun with what must have been a 4 minute dot. It really was too small, especially when shooting fast, and transitioning between multiple targets.

The small dots are best for rifles at distance. But then, no unmagnified red dot is going to be the ideal optic for a rifle at distance.

For typical handgun distances, and even out to longer subgun distances, a 6 to 8 minute dot seems to be about right. That's still not going to cover an entire IPSC/IDPA target at 100 yds., but is large enough to pick up quickly when shooting up close.

Of course, it all comes down to personal preference. If you can find a couple of sights to compare before buying, that's always the best.