Sighting in a subgun

Everything from training tips to firearm discussion for competitors. What have you learned that you can share and what do you want to know?
medphys
What number appears twice below: 9

Sighting in a subgun

Post by medphys » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:28 pm

I usually just find a general setting shooting singles (not in semi) at a piece of paper. Once I'm comfortable with that, I'll shift to a heavy hanging 8" steel plate and tweek things to get a ballance between singles and burst fire at a distance of about 25 yards.

I'm curious how other shooters sight in their subguns.

I have also noticed a difference in impact location when switching between 115gr and 147gr (reloads) ammo. My 147's seem to hit low.

Ulwembu
What number appears twice below: 0

Re: Sighting in a subgun

Post by Ulwembu » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:30 pm

I'll let somebody else respond to this. I've got my people sighting them in for me :lol:

Paul Winters

Post by Paul Winters » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:41 pm

My personal preferece is to zero at 25 yards. For me, that means 1 inch low at point blank and 1 inch high at 50 yards. it really doesn't matter where you zero as long as you know where your impact is at different distances.

Paul

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Good thread!

I can co-wittness with my uzi's so I sight in my irons first and after they are spot on I put my red dot on top of my front sight and i'm good to go. I sight in with the same ammo I will use in competition like this:

In semi-auto mode from a squared shooting stance at 10 yards, I align the horizontal (windage) so I am hitting along the center line between the 12 o clock and 6'o clock positions. I do this by taking 3 shots at a 6" shoot N C target .

I then put the target at 25 yards and align the vertical (elevation) so I'm hitting dead center. I then put the gun down and do some random break dance moves to celebrate. Then I come back to the gun and put a couple more shots in the same hole to confirm zero.

Then... I set the red dot where it needs to be on top of the iron sights and confirm it's zero. I use a burris fast fire (4moa) and a Doctor Optic 3.5 moa on my two uzi's . One important step on those type of optics is to remember to recheck your zero on the optic after you tighten the locking screws that you have to loosen to be able to adjust the sight.

If you have a semi auto setting on the gun you may wan to use it when sighting in. your mileage may vary but that is what works for me. If you don't use it you risk the possibility of having your trigger slap when trying to get singles inducing movement while you zero that isn't consistent and will change the point of impact.

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:23 pm

One more thing.... if you want to practice your doubles, triples etc... put a paper plate out at 25 yards and try to get 2-3 rounds on that in a single burst. If you can do that consistently then you should have no problems with most courses of fire. Even Mr Winters with that devilish twinkle in his eye doesn't ask more than that of his competitors.

medphys
What number appears twice below: 9

Post by medphys » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Paul and Todd, thank you very much! That will be very helpfull.

This coming Knob Creek will be the first time shooting my gun in the irons class and I was having some difficulty getting everything set. I never really thought about setting the irons first, then just putting the dot on the front post.