CONTROL the BOLT...

Everything from training tips to firearm discussion for competitors. What have you learned that you can share and what do you want to know?
SubGunFan
What number appears twice below: 0

CONTROL the BOLT...

Post by SubGunFan » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:23 pm

Yes, control the bolt FIRST on OB SMGs.

I have been watching old vids of matches and casual shooting, and have noticed that the "control the bolt" principal is being used too little.....

SMG shooters (old & new) need to be reminded that... When the bolt drops on an empty chamber or a jam occurs, RACK THE BOLT FIRST to reload or clear a jam.

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:38 pm

I have video of quite a few matches where bolt back first wasn't practiced causing AD's and also loading issues if the gun ran dry. Sometimes on an Uzi if you dont rack the bolt back first the magazine won't seat and drops when they try to fire the first shot. I think this happened to a few people at the uzitalk 2005 event.

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:36 pm

todd wrote: Sometimes on an Uzi if you dont rack the bolt back first the magazine won't seat and drops when they try to fire the first shot.
OTOH, when the bolt is retracted first, the mag will sometimes be inserted too far, also causing a malfunction.

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:40 pm

I've never seen an Uzi mag be inserted too far causing a malfunction. I've never had to pull down on an Uzi magazine to ensure it ran fine.. Not on my 2 vectors and quite a few other vectors + conversion guns I have shot.

Does this happen with your Uzi Garrett?

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:53 pm

I did have a malfunction during the subgun match at the Uzitalk shoot last year. Thinking back, may have been a mag overinsertion. Not sure - I was trying to just get the stinking thing shooting while the clock was running. It was a borrowed gun, with 25 round mags. Not sure.

It's not usually a problem with actual Uzi mags, but it is a known issue with the Argentine 40 round mags. I believe they were desigend for some other gun, though.

The overinsertion problem can exist with other guns. An M11 with Madsen or Sten mags comes to mind. I've seen it with a few other guns as well.

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:39 pm

Sounds like more of a magazine issue than a gun issue but a valid point if you are using non factory magazines. Uzi mags have the stop lips on them to keep the operator from over inserting them. They physically can not go "too far" in to the mag well. I have one USA 40 rnd mag which I used once and tossed into a box in the back of my closet for that very reason. The lips of the magazine were just wrong and caused major drama.