Hearing impared

Discussion on Range Officer conduct, procedures and related issues.
todd
Site Admin
What number appears twice below: 0

Hearing impared

Post by todd » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:46 am

While discussing that the issue of color blindness it got me thinking. The issue should be raised regarding hearing impared. Has anyone delt with a hearing impared shooter yet? Have any physical indicators been set up to this effect?

Possibly the RO's hand on shoulder of hearing impared means "freeze" or "stop" or something to that effect.

Paul Winters

Post by Paul Winters » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:50 am

I have dealt with several hard of hearing individuals( all of us included) and when notified, I would run a timer beep test on the shooter by having him stand relaxed and ask him if he could hear the timer. I would hold the timer real close to his hearing protection to make sure it worked for him/her and in all cases that would be the end of it. Never had to take it it the next level which would be to touch the shooter with the timer since I can see the timer count down and not react to the sound.

Paul : -)#

SubGunFan

Post by SubGunFan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:25 am

I have a hard time hearing the timers with the high pitch buzzers, and would ask that they be held close to my head. The newer timers use a lower pitch buzzer and that helps quick a bit. If I can not hear the timer going off while watching others shoot, then I ask the RO for a test beep before my runs.

Like Paul said, the ROs work with the shooters and the matches run smoothly.

HAL
What number appears twice below: 9

Re: Hearing impared

Post by HAL » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:00 pm

I ask the RO to stand back behind me at 45* to my right side, hold the timer/start buzzer at his arm length above my right ear and test.

After I aknowledge I can hear the buzzer, it is a go ahead and I know what I am looking for when it buzz and where it (audible start sound) will come from. I have a constant ring in my ears, so it help me to know what and where the buzz will come from.

With the timer at RO' arm length, he can just drop his arm and timer down and back out of my way till it is time to gather the sounds of last few rounds fired.

Paul Winters

Re: Hearing impared

Post by Paul Winters » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 pm

Anything to work with the shooter to verify they can hear the timer. As a CRO, I actually ask the line ROs to hold the timer up on the shooter's weak side for a couple of reasons. The shooter shouldn't know the timer is there, but it allows the RO to check the timer periodically to make sure it is posting correctly. I also ask that the line RO to hold the timer up as dropping the timer is a beginning sign the RO is getting tired or losing focus. Holding the timer up in the correct position is demonstrating attention and alertness me and to the other RO's. We need to watch out for each other since I might not know I am getting tired, but others can see it.

Paul : -)#