carcass

A place to introduce yourself. Tell us a bit about your interests in firearms, competition and what you have done and wish to do in the world of the competitive shooting sports.
carcass
What number appears twice below: 0

carcass

Post by carcass » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi guys,

I'm carcass. Those of you who are members at UZI Talk probably know me as ... carcass. I've been shooting for a number of years now, although I did not grow up doing so. I first got into competition shooting at Penn State, where I shot on the PSU Rifle Team. I've shot a couple of DCM (now CMP) matches along the way, but my real interest in firearms competition is in Practical Shooting. I started off in the IDPA, and have been mostly active in the USPSA for the last few years. I am a 'B' class USPSA shooter (Limited).

A few years ago, on my first trip to Knob Creek, I ran into an old college acquaintance who had just purchased his first NFA firearm, a Vector full-size UZI. He let me shoot it (back when KCR had a side stage at the subgun match you could pay per run to shoot), and I knew I had to get one. I saved up and purchased my Vector full size, and have shot it several times at the KCR subgun match.

I have been working on and off to drum up some support for SMG competition in Pennsylvania. I didn't think this would be too hard, as PA is one of the most populous NFA states. However, for what I feel are demographic reasons, people don't seem to be so interested in SMG competition here. My opinion is that the general age profile of Pennsylvania residents and the high cost of entry into NFA ownership combine to make the NFA-owning community here one composed mainly of collectors and stationary shooters.

I'd still love to develop some community interest in PA for SMG competition, and I think that there is a chance, as the firearms owning community begins to become younger--since 1994 or so, it seems many more young people are getting into the shooting sports. I hope we are able to continue that trend.

Anyway, that's just a bit about me. I hope that being part of this community, focused as it is on competition, will give me some ideas for promoting this rewarding sport in PA.

Paul Winters

Welcome

Post by Paul Winters » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:40 am

Welcome. Interestingly, back in the NFA days, PA had a strong subgun competion group. It was long enough the only member I remember was Mario and I am thinking it was the Pittsburg area, but I am not sure. That was about 10 years ago. Getting started is always a challenge. First, having a place to compete that supports suguns is a good start. Letting people know through the internet helps also. Getting trained as a subgun Range Officer or having access to trained RO's brings a lot to the game from an experience and safety aspect. You might try establishing a group through a local or regional match and see who is around. I will bet you will find that there are a lot of players in your area once you get the word out. Keep us posted as you progress. If we can help, please let us know.

Paul : -)#

todd
Site Admin

Re: carcass

Post by todd » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:09 pm

Hey Carcass! Welcome to Bullethose buddy I'm glad you made your way over here. I think a key step in getting anything going in PA is finding maybe 2 other folks who are dedicated to just shooting once a month and see where things go from there.

piratesover40

Re: carcass

Post by piratesover40 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:22 pm

Hey Carcass Welcome aboard.
"Don't Tell Me the Sky's the Limit When There Are Footpirnts on the Moon" (unknown)