New Guy in Reno NV

A place to introduce yourself. Tell us a bit about your interests in firearms, competition and what you have done and wish to do in the world of the competitive shooting sports.
HirosStorageUnit
What number appears twice below: 9

New Guy in Reno NV

Post by HirosStorageUnit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Name's Jim
I have never competed in any subgun stuff, aside from beer matches with buddies shooting
Was give my first firearm at age 6 (inland M1 carbine still have it) 35 now
Never was not interested in the shooting sports
I have shot IPSC,, hi power OTC, silhouette, and bullseye. but mainly IPSC.
I shoot at the Regional shooting range in Washoe county or simply the desert
I own a big pile of stuff, but as far of subguns go.
m10 with a lage upper in 45
and an M11 that is in a TASK config that will be changed to a 762 tok pretty soon

Im at a point in my life where I would like to compete in subgun matches but I think if I do I have to organize them myself. If I do this I would like to get as much info on how they are run. I dont want to look like a complete idiot to the hosting club. We have a massive amount of NFA owners here in my area but NOBODY shoots in anything organized. As far as I can tell Vegas is the nearest place that has matches. Im thinking about making the 8 hour drive to try to shoot and see how its done.

Well........... thats me Hope to see you guys on a range soon.

todd
Site Admin
What number appears twice below: 0

Re: New Guy in Reno NV

Post by todd » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:38 am

Welcome to the forums! I think you'll find the answers you need here and I commend you for taking the prerogative to get something started. If you build it they will come!

Paul Winters
What number appears twice below: 0

Re: New Guy in Reno NV

Post by Paul Winters » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:08 pm

Welcome and congrats on an interest in the subgun competition world. Subgun matches are similar to USPSA matches with quite a few differences. I would recommend shooting some subgun matches and talk to others there. There are several youtube videos as well to view by searching subgun matches. Setting up your own match can be involved and experiece is the key. After you have competed in some matches, consider becomming a Range Officer. This will give you a good foundation in maintaining safety and leading up to the administration aspect. A Subgun Range Officer training class will be held this spring at Knob Creek during the Machinegun shoot event. This would be a good starting point. If travel is not an option, I would recommend talking to Vegas as to their RO training program or becomming a USPSA RO. This is where I got my start followed by NFA (no longer exists) Range Officer RO and CRO training. Different rules are practiced (the USPSA rulebook is thick and can be involved), but the concept of running a match begin in this class. There is still a couple variations of subgun match rules and I beleve some are posted here. The Knob Creek National Subgun Match rules are posted as well on the Knob Creek Web site (www.machinegunshoot.com or wwwKnobCreekrange.com). If you have any questions, please ask. We are all friends here and you will find that attitude common at subgun matches.

Paul : -)#