Reloaded Ammo Accuracy / Consistency

Discussion on ammo and reloading. Info on group buys on ammo and reloading components so we can all save more so we can shoot more. If you are looking for ammo buys to get in on or if you are looking for buyers to go in on a purchase you have planned this is the place for you.
medphys
What number appears twice below: 9

Reloaded Ammo Accuracy / Consistency

Post by medphys » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:32 pm

A few weeks ago I was shooting the Michigan State Subgun Match and didn't do so well :(

At the beginning of the match I thought that I was just shooting poorly, but eventually noticed that my bullets were hitting low... but not always hitting low. This was with my reloaded ammo: 3.8gr Universal Clays @ 1.15 OAL, Berry's 147gr plated bullets, averaging 1040fps.

At the start of my 4th stage, I decided to switch to factory Federal 115 grain bullets and noticed that I was shooting better. Bullets still hitting low, but uniformly low so I could better compensate.

Fast forward to today and I decide to do some testing with my ammo. It wasn't really controlled or scientific, but after warming up I shot two strings (in full auto, but pulling singles only) each of my UC loads, my Bullseye loads (3.8gr @ 1.5 COA, unknown velocity), and Federal 115gr factory ammo.

I did one string each of UC, Federal, then Bullsey, then repeat.

My groups were visibly the largest with UC and tightest with Bullseye. Given this info, I'm going to load up more Bullseye and do some testing to see if I "shoot" better with them.

First, I'm wondering if I'm pushing the Berry's bullets too fast with the UC? However, I don't have plans to reduce the UC load and do anymore testing as I was going to switch over to Bullseye anyway.

So, the question to others is: has anyone ever done any accuracy testing of various ammo/loads with your subgun? If so, what were your results?

Thanks!
Last edited by medphys on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulwembu
What number appears twice below: 0

Re: Reloaded Ammo Accuracy / Consistency

Post by Ulwembu » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:50 pm

One big factor is the thickness of the case wall. Lots of people say it doesn't matter in handgun calibers but it does. It influences the amount of crimp given to the round which results in different speeds and changing the point of impact.

I reload for my semi UZI and I have consistent groups the size of a clay bird at 50 yards. I load 124 gr plated Frontier bullets with 6.6 gr Vihta Vuori 3N37.

medphys
What number appears twice below: 9

Post by medphys » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:04 pm

This is at 25 yards.

Ulwembu

Post by Ulwembu » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Hmmm... I must admit that the reason I load so heavy is that the gun cycles faster with this load which results in less movement up and down. Also, I used to use it for IPSC Rifle in which you have to have a minimum power factor of 165. With this load I was higher then that and people told me I could go lower but as the gun functions nicely on it, I didn't.

Maybe it helps if you go higher in the powder load? I don't know the tables for your powder so keep it safe ;) My load is 0.9 over the max load advised by Vihta Vuori but I keep a good eye on my primers to look for over-pressure.

Paul Winters

Post by Paul Winters » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:02 pm

I find the Berry plated bullets to be on the soft side and more like cast bullets, even the double plated. I prefer the Rainier. When you reload, you have flexibility to change the load specific to the gun you are firing them through. I prefer to load on the lighter side, which can reduce my cyclic rate and make singles easier in my 16/9. Some powders are dirtier than others. I use Winchester WST and it works great for me. I also prefer small rifle primers in 9mm over small pistol primers as my 16 has a floating firing pin. Lots of things to change and play with.

: -)#

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:24 pm

medphys wrote:First, I'm wondering if I'm pushing the Berry's bullets too fast with the UC?
Their website says you can go up to 1250 fps. Staying subsonic should not cause you any issues.

Your description makes it sound like you are doing your accuracy testing off hand. You will likely get a different point-of-impact if shooting from a rest, but when grouping for accuracy it's best to take the human element out of the mix as much as possible. Do your accuracy testing from a bench with sandbags. Once you get the group size where you want it, then shoot offhand to make sure your point-of-impact matches your point-of-aim.
Paul Winters wrote:I find the Berry plated bullets to be on the soft side and more like cast bullets, even the double plated.
I could be mistaken, but I believe the "Double Struck" bullets are not double plated. Rather, they run them through the sizing die an extra time for better consistency. I looked on their website, but it no longer mentions the "double struck" option.
Paul Winters wrote:I also prefer small rifle primers in 9mm over small pistol primers as my 16 has a floating firing pin. Lots of things to change and play with.
I've been running small rifle primers in my handgun cartridges for years with no issues. Recently I've had a few light primer strikes. It is likely a combination of things, but I'm thinking of switching back to the small pistol primers, as a little added primer sensitivity could help in this regard. The harder rifle primers are likely a good idea in the M16, but that won't be an issue in a fixed-firing-pin open bolt gun.