SSAR-15 Bumpfire Stock in SMG Matches

The final word on what flys and what doesn't in competition. What do you think we need to do to make each and every match fair and safe for all shooters.
medphys
What number appears twice below: 9

SSAR-15 Bumpfire Stock in SMG Matches

Post by medphys » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:10 pm

I'm curious on peoples' thoughts on the "allowability" of something like this in a subgun competition, if it were on a 9mm convert.

One might think that it probably wouldn't be very competitive in a full auto class, but then again maybe it would be since you can get singles pretty easy.

I know it's not really a full auto, but anything to get competitors to a match is a good thing in my book. And yes, I'm aware that RO's will need some instruction on the function of it, but I would think that that should not be an issue in determining it's eligibility.

http://militarygunsupply.com/index.php? ... ts_id=1082

Thanks-
Todd

todd
Site Admin
What number appears twice below: 0

Re: SSAR-15 Bumpfire Stock in SMG Matches

Post by todd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Great invention but I think it will end up going the way of the Atkins accelerator and all will be confiscated and it outlawed at some point. It looks controllable which is not what I think of when I think bump fire so that's pretty nice.

To grow the sport here locally we've allowed semi-auto shooters for 3-4 years now and a good percentage of them end up with a full auto eventually.

bwe firearms

Post by bwe firearms » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:44 am

I have to agree with Todd. I think once they start hitting the market in volume Tech Branch will class them as a conversion. I was given an Akins stock that I have to get a 10/22 for and register as a post sample. Once I do that I will probably bring it to a match for everyone to use in part of a stage.
Richard
Gunsmith/Class 2 Manufacturer

BWE Firearms & Uzi HQ
Longwood, FL
(407) 592-3975
Richard@bwefirearms.com
http://www.bwefirearms.com
http://www.UziParts.com

ktwm

Post by ktwm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:50 pm

the funny thing is the ATF says it's perfectly legal to own an akins stock, as long as the spring is not there.

This SSAR stock is basically an akins stock without the spring, so if they ban it, then they would have to go against their previous ruling allowing the akins stock without the spring....of course the ATF doesn't seem to mind going back on their own past rulings, so anything is possible.

If you have an akins stock, I would suggest not registering it just yet. instead leave the spring out, and mount a vertical forward grip mounted onto the barrel (not the akins forend) and then use it much like this SSAR stock....with your left arm as the spring that pulls the gun forward onto the trigger finger.

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:08 pm

ktwm wrote: If you have an akins stock, I would suggest not registering it just yet. instead leave the spring out, and mount a vertical forward grip mounted onto the barrel (not the akins forend) and then use it much like this SSAR stock....with your left arm as the spring that pulls the gun forward onto the trigger finger.
I've got one of the original wood-stocked Akins units. I don't think the .22 would have enough rearward recoil to make it function in a spring-less state.

But it might. With the plastic version of the stock, I wouldn't feel too bad about cutting off the front end of the stock to make a barrel-mounted front grip more accessible. The wood stock is just too pretty to chop up. (I'm still trying to figure a way to make something useful out of it).

Ulwembu

Post by Ulwembu » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:56 pm

I talked to Paul W during build up of the last KCR match about this stock and if we would allow it in our matches or not. He declined. Reason is that it's to easy to prevent it from bumfiring and thus shoot single tap (as a semi).

medphys

Post by medphys » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Ulwembu wrote:I talked to Paul W during build up of the last KCR match about this stock and if we would allow it in our matches or not. He declined. Reason is that it's to easy to prevent it from bumfiring and thus shoot single tap (as a semi).
Agreed.

After testing the one I have locally, it is definately not suited for subgun matches. Even if it was used, I doubt anyone could get a good score with it.

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Mon May 02, 2011 10:38 pm

if they remain legal and they are safe and controllable I'd be interested in seeing them in local level matches if it helped introduce people to the sport. I'm sure like anything they would take some getting used to for someone to get proficient.

medphys

Post by medphys » Tue May 03, 2011 8:51 am

The one we've been using is with a 5.56 upper. We do not have a 9mm upper to test it with and I have no idea of the recoil from A 9mm AR upper so it may not even work...

bwe firearms

Post by bwe firearms » Sun May 22, 2011 9:28 am

The bumpfire stocks would be a good way for people to get into the subgun match shooting. I have an Akins stock I need to get a 10/22 for then we can set it up on a stage and let everyone give it a try on a couple of targets. Might be fun.
Richard
Gunsmith/Class 2 Manufacturer

BWE Firearms & Uzi HQ
Longwood, FL
(407) 592-3975
Richard@bwefirearms.com
http://www.bwefirearms.com
http://www.UziParts.com

ktwm

Post by ktwm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:12 pm

medphys wrote:The one we've been using is with a 5.56 upper. We do not have a 9mm upper to test it with and I have no idea of the recoil from A 9mm AR upper so it may not even work...
straight blowback 9mm uppers usually have more recoil than gas operated 5.56 uppers, so it should work fine.

even found a video....looks pretty controllable.

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:07 pm

Not bad. I wonder how hard it is do to on the move. Id like to play with one

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:12 pm

todd wrote:Not bad. I wonder how hard it is do to on the move. Id like to play with one
That costs a fraction of what I paid for my wood-stocked Akins Accelerator back in the day. I keep thinking I ought to get one. It just hasn't been that high up on my priority list yet.

ktwm

Post by ktwm » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:19 pm

Just saw a video of one of these style stocks on a saiga shotgun....

Gaujo

Post by Gaujo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:01 pm

todd wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 pm
Great invention but I think it will end up going the way of the Atkins accelerator and all will be confiscated and it outlawed at some point. It looks controllable which is not what I think of when I think bump fire so that's pretty nice.

To grow the sport here locally we've allowed semi-auto shooters for 3-4 years now and a good percentage of them end up with a full auto eventually.
Turns out you were right, albeit it took 8 years.