MI State subgun 2013

Pre event discussion and post event analysis of events to help competitors, stage designers and event coordinators better their craft.
todd
Site Admin
What number appears twice below: 0

MI State subgun 2013

Post by todd » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:59 pm

OK.. you guys are driving me crazy here... hook a fella up with the details.. I saw some videos.. what's the good word? How did everyone do?

Paul Winters

Re: MI State subgun 2013

Post by Paul Winters » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Just got back to TN around noon. Again, another great event! 6 good stages. The food at lunch was fabulous. The targets were small in some places and there were, what you would call style points (bonus for clean sweep with a single trigger pull at three target arrays). Neal did a great job with his magical computer and will send me the results tomorrow morning. Will post as soon as I get it, Haven't seen any pics or vids. Took my camera, but was too busy to take it out of the case. Everyone seemed to have a ton of fun and everyone was safe. Couldn't ask for more. Even the weather was perfect.

Paul : -)#

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:17 pm

awesome! glad to hear. I missed you guys big time but I just couldn't make it this year.

mp40gunner

Post by mp40gunner » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:22 am

Great event again. I got 3rd in Iron with the Sterling and 4th in optics with the Uzi. Those darn red guys got in the way twice with the Uzi. The Sterling had only seen 6 magazines since it has been built prior to Saturday and I couldn't be happier with it.

Garret, Brian, Leo, and Bruce were on fire for most of the day and the scores were pretty tight. In Irons there was a 7 second spread from 1st to 3rd and less than a second between 2nd and 3rd.

Robin Bryant came and shot along with Amy and both did quite well.

The weather, people, and food was great. Already looking forward to next year.

If I was technical enough to get them off, I have about 20 videos on my phone.

Wish you could have made it but there is always next year.
"Get Some"

klyph12
What number appears twice below: 9

Post by klyph12 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 am

I think this year was the best one so far, the weather definitely was and food was great (as always).

medphys
What number appears twice below: 9

Post by medphys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Glad it worked out for everybody. This was one that I really didn't want to miss, but the stars just didn't align this time around.

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Good match all around. It was a full day's work on the part of the ROs, and they did a great job. Hats off to everyone that made this match possible!

The little steel plates on stages 1 & 6 were interesting. Not "bad", but you had to pay attention to what you were doing.

The longer shots on paper on stage 2 were good. They were "easy" shots, but it was far enough away that you couldn't see your hits, and you had to know where your gun was hitting, otherwise you risked throwing some misses.

I almost think the people who hadn't been to this match in previous years did better on the shoot house. I think a lot of us had some preconceived notions based on past year's stages, and we allowed those (incorrect) ideas to affect how we approached the stage... much to our dismay. See my Optics run for some examples.

I liked the hosefest on Stage 4. Bruce managed to get all three bonuses in his morning run. The middle array was tough. I got all four poppers, but ran out of ammo on the activated drop-turner. In the iron sight run, I hit the activator first, then swept into the drop-turner, and then back to the other steel. I got the paper, but not all the steel. So no penalty, but no bonus either.

I got dinged on Stage 5 for a foot fault over a painted line. We've discussed here before about using hard lines that you can feel (1x2 boards, pipe boxes, hula hoops, etc). The argument against is that they are a potential tripping hazard. On the other hand, hard lines are used every weekend of the year all around the country at USPSA and IDPA matches and you don't hear about a big tripping problem. My opinion is that the lines are no more a tripping hazard than some of the typical uneven ranges that we run all over on. (I hope I don't sound like I'm griping about my stage run because of the foot fault. That's not my intention. I was way over the line - enough that I might have gone clear over a hard line anyway. This is just another rules topic for discussion).

Again, it was a fun match, and was well run. Thanks again to everyone that makes it possible.