Falll 2014 Knob Creek National Subgun Match Info

Pre event discussion and post event analysis of events to help competitors, stage designers and event coordinators better their craft.
Paul Winters
What number appears twice below: 0

Falll 2014 Knob Creek National Subgun Match Info

Post by Paul Winters » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:25 am

The Creek is less than a month away. Time for a Knob Creek National Subgun Match teaser. This one is a racing theme. For those of you planning on playing (you do have your slots registered, don’t you?), you will need about 8 25-30 round magazines. The round count is about the same, but there are a few more shooting positions planned. As always, you can re-use your magazines after executing the required magazine change out (drum neutral rule), but there is always a chance what is left may not be enough. That decision will be up to you.

We are thrilled to announce that Innovative Targets will be joining us as our sponsor. They will be showing us what great stuff they have downrange for us to play with. They will also be providing some of their AR500 targets to share with some of you who will be competing. If you want to see what they may be putting out for us, their web site http://www.innovativetargets.net. They even have some stuff so new it isn't even on the site for us to try our hand at. Time to knock off the dust and rust cause the Creek is near. Let’s play!

The range staff and I look forward to seeing y'all there,

Paul : -)#

I forgot to post that Innovative Targets also has a facebook site and it is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Innovati ... 4487466?re

bob

Re: Falll 2014 Knob Creek National Subgun Match Info

Post by bob » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:36 am

Thanks!

I got a promotion at work to EMT Educator, I might be able to get another dueling tree!

Looks to be fun, see you in a couple of weeks.

Bob
Bob
EMT-Basic
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Endowment Life Member

"When you leave the range, nobody will remember how accurate you were, or how fast you were, Everyone will remember how safe you were"

Kingpin
What number appears twice below: 9

Post by Kingpin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:34 am

Paul,

Thanks again to you and all of your crew for running and setting up another successful (in my opinion) match at the Creek.

As always, I know you are open to any and all comments, feedback, and suggestions. The general consensus from my crew was overwhelmingly positive.

We loved the multiple shooting positions, we loved the mix of strings with no-shoots and without, and we loved the mix of accuracy and turn and burn.

We generally agreed that the only change we would have made was in the orange and blue section. One change would have made this fall shoot more fun (and less time consuming for novice shooters). The orange and blue target array could be moved closer by about 10 feet. I believe the steel would be far enough away as to not change the safety factor, but close enough to make it more shoot-able.

Again, a huge thanks goes out to you and your entire crew! We enjoyed the targets from Innovative as well. The sponsorship giveaway was amazing as well. They gave away a lot of steel. I will call them today and pass along our "thanks."

Are you still planning to add an "outlaw" division in the spring?

Also, does anybody know the un-official results?

Godspeed,
Chase
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt

mp40gunner

Post by mp40gunner » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:31 am

Great event and course. I did not shoot all that well and broke an Uzi ejector but there is always the spring match. Always have a good time shooting and seeing old friends that I do not get to see as much as I would like.

Cain
"Get Some"

Paul Winters

Post by Paul Winters » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:12 pm

The flipper targets were set to our 15 yard minimum. Yes, based on their operation and angle, they could have been shot safely slightly closer. Didn't want to take a chance at the time. Innovative Targets were fantastic. We figured that between them, they received about 16,000 rounds this weekend. We had a couple flipper heads that got bent and even had one knocked over and back with the same burst. Jason Agee, the head of the company and I are in discussion on many ideas like having a flipper target that would sit on a driven or standing post. Larger targets would also be nice, but having some precision shots every now and then is a good thing to help keep everybody on their game.

Yes, we are talking about going to 30 round mag capacity for all existing classes and creating a wide open class for drums and high capacity magazines. This is still cast in jello and we haven't pulled the switch, but we are leaning heavily on it. I will post soon on this topic. I have the full results and I hope to post them tomorrow, assuming I have wireless at the hotel as I am packing for the Blueridge 3-gun in Kentucky to help shoot and RO. This is a busy month for me.

Congrats to you Chase for your first place run. Congrats to all who were there as I think it was a good one, even with the weather.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Paul;

You guys did a fantastic job as you always do at the Creek.

Thank You for putting on such a great shoot.

Bob
Bob
EMT-Basic
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Endowment Life Member

"When you leave the range, nobody will remember how accurate you were, or how fast you were, Everyone will remember how safe you were"

Kingpin
What number appears twice below: 9

Post by Kingpin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Paul Winters wrote:The flipper targets were set to our 15 yard minimum. Yes, based on their operation and angle, they could have been shot safely slightly closer. Didn't want to take a chance at the time. Innovative Targets were fantastic. We figured that between them, they received about 16,000 rounds this weekend. We had a couple flipper heads that got bent and even had one knocked over and back with the same burst. Jason Agee, the head of the company and I are in discussion on many ideas like having a flipper target that would sit on a driven or standing post. Larger targets would also be nice, but having some precision shots every now and then is a good thing to help keep everybody on their game.

Yes, we are talking about going to 30 round mag capacity for all existing classes and creating a wide open class for drums and high capacity magazines. This is still cast in jello and we haven't pulled the switch, but we are leaning heavily on it. I will post soon on this topic. I have the full results and I hope to post them tomorrow, assuming I have wireless at the hotel as I am packing for the Blueridge 3-gun in Kentucky to help shoot and RO. This is a busy month for me.

Congrats to you Chase for your first place run. Congrats to all who were there as I think it was a good one, even with the weather.

Paul,

I was going to say that the flipper targets could have been a little bigger as well but I wasn't sure of the distance, and since the targets already "exist" I thought it would be easier to just move them closer next time. I'm 100% in the boat for safety.

I enjoyed the target array and hope to see it again, and my suggestion was more in the essence of time management and helping ensure that no one runs out of time and/or gets too frustrated.

I spoke with Jason Agee earlier this morning. He seems like a great guy and I believe I will be buying some targets from him. I wish him continued success and I hope he is able to work with your crew in the future.

I would not mind seeing an outlaw class. It would definitely be nice to have another division to compete in...let's see, that's another $25 match fee, another $80 in ammo, frantic reloading of mags/drums....haha. I'm in!

Thank you, sir! I wasn't sure if that run would hold up or not.

Have a great time at the Blue Ridge and shoot straight!

Godspeed,
Chase
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt