Let's talk Bumpfire

Everything from training tips to firearm discussion for competitors. What have you learned that you can share and what do you want to know?
Ulwembu
What number appears twice below: 0

Re: Let's talk Bumpfire

Post by Ulwembu » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:36 pm

We already have about 100 runs per day at the Creek. How would you put in more runs? Last October the last shooter was doing his run while the targets were lightened up by flash lights. At the moment I don't see any new classes coming up at KCR. There's just not enough time.

Also, at the Creek, we have the drum neutral rule. You have to remove the mag from the gun between strings. Not true unlimited/open ;)

My point: plain and simple. If you know the guns are there, organize a match for that class. Yes there's a risk of not getting a full match but it's the chance you take. I just did it: started a semi auto style subgun competition by just asking around how many had interest. Then arranged a range where to shoot it (with the agreement that if the numbers would be low we could cancel) and opened registration. We now have about 40 shooters doing 84 runs in 4 classes. It's all about taking chances and believing in yourself ;)

Again, my oppinion is that bumpfire stocks have no place between the full auto guys. They can run the same COF but will do in their own class. Then again, my oppinion. If the MD decides different, we'll go that way ;)

ktwm
What number appears twice below: 9

Post by ktwm » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:25 pm

If the creek can't handle more people, so be it. But perhaps other venues will pop up then.....supply and demand and all.....More people with bumpfire stocks will increase demand for competitions for them (at least some). and frankly it is an opportunity for matches to draw more people.
Ulwembu wrote: Also, at the Creek, we have the drum neutral rule. You have to remove the mag from the gun between strings. Not true unlimited/open ;)
Not having enough time is a valid point, and one likely reason that nothing will change at KCR. But adding another day, or limiting the number of contestants is about the only way to handle that. I assume that there is already a limit, and some people are turned away, or at least registration is closed once the max number is reached, or after a certain date. (or maybe that is coming soon)

I know the creek might be "full" already, but that is no reason to not allow bump-fires to join in on subgun competitions.....Lets face it, the supply of transferable subguns is not growing (and likely shrinking), but bumpfires at least potentially can increase in numbers.

Perhaps a true unlimited class would be a good idea though, with no drum neutral rule. Basically only a max caliber or energy limitation, for range safety reasons.

Ulwembu

Post by Ulwembu » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:30 am

Never said they shouldn't be added in subgun competitions. I'm actually for it. I'm just saying that they should have their own class because of the ability of squeezng off singles easier.

Paul Winters

Post by Paul Winters » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:25 am

OK, I talked with the Judd Foster of Fostech this week and they are planning to be at the Creek. I have invited them to the subgun range to show their wares. This will give everyone a chance to take a closer look. See y'all there.

Paul : -)#

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:09 am

Nice. I'd like to play with a bump fire gun and put it through its paces.

sillycon

Post by sillycon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 am

I've got a bump stock for my AR's. I'll bring it up to Malabar on Sunday for you to play.
RPB M10/9

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:49 pm

sillycon wrote:I've got a bump stock for my AR's. I'll bring it up to Malabar on Sunday for you to play.

Groovy. What manufacture bump stock is it?

sillycon

Post by sillycon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:57 pm

It's an original SlideFire.

I think it would be a hoot to compete with it in it's own class, but personally I'd not be terribly interested in hopping into the subgun or semi classes with it - I feel like that'd be a recipe for getting my butt handed to me! I do expect, however, that someone who has used one more extensively would fare better.

It's not complicated to use, and I don't really see any safety issues per-se; it's just a matter of developing the muscle memory to be fast and efficient/effective with it.
RPB M10/9

ktwm

Post by ktwm » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:15 pm

Ulwembu wrote:Never said they shouldn't be added in subgun competitions. I'm actually for it. I'm just saying that they should have their own class because of the ability of squeezng off singles easier.

If there is an unlimited class, then that ability to squeeze off singles easier would no longer be a benefit for bumpfires, since you could use your selector switch on your subgun in the unlimited class.....because there are no limits, hence the name.

I have never personally dealt with that issue though, since we do not restrict the use of one of your subguns built in switches at our local matches. there is no need to require auto only, since the scores give bonuses to the use of auto thru style points.

So in a way I agree with you....put them (and pretty much anything else) in thier own unlimited class......and once you have lots of bump-fires competeing, then decide if they should have their own bump-fire only class, based on how they are doing against the full-autos.

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:45 am

So how did he Fostech demos go? A tone try to run the course with one? What kind of feedback did they get?

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:04 am

The demos went good. he shot a few times and at one point I had to tell Mike (spitfire) that it was not a machine gun. there is definitely promise with the bumpfires. I think we should give it a shot again in April and see how it goes.

sillycon

Post by sillycon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Todd, I take it the Fostech setup is better than the SlideFire setup?
RPB M10/9

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Hmmm. Jury is still out on this one.

I got a Fostech DefendAR a few weeks ago in trade for my original wood-stocked (neutered) Akins Accelerator.

I finally got a chance to try the thing out today. Just a little though. The private club where I usually shoot was opened to the public for "sight in" day today. A week-and-a-half before the start of firearms deer season, and the orange-clad horde has descended. I figured they would mostly be filling up the 100 yd. range, leaving some room at the 25 yd. pistol pays. Not so - there were probably 50 people crowded around the two pistol bays (and most of them wearing orange... deer season hasn't started yet people. Maybe there's a club rule that the only-shoot-once-a-year crowd has to identify themselves with orange. Don't know. :? )

So I ended up driving to a public area where I could shoot. There was another truck there, and I'm guessing they guy was attempting to shoot Bambie with an arrow. So in trying not to completely scare the woodland critters away, I just stuck to the suppressed guns.

The stock doesn't work at all with a .22 conversion. No real surprise there. Maybe on a super lightweight build.

I put the 9mm upper on it. At first the bolt was getting stuck to the rear when I fired. Very strange. So I switched buffers / springs, and it was better.

I was able to get off several bursts. I had a couple of malfunctions, and once where the hammer did not reset. After one mag, I went back to just letting my daughter shoot .22 through the other upper.

I'm thinking I might have to do some playing to get the "feel" of this thing.

todd
Site Admin

Post by todd » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:17 pm

sillycon wrote:Todd, I take it the Fostech setup is better than the SlideFire setup?
Not sure , I haven't shot both

ZephyrNYC

Post by ZephyrNYC » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:40 pm

I know this thread is old. But have there been any bumpfire matches nearly 3-1/2 years after this thread was started? Thanks.