Slowing down the Reising

Everything from training tips to firearm discussion for competitors. What have you learned that you can share and what do you want to know?
Garrett

Slowing down the Reising

Post by Garrett » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:17 am

I'd heard of people machining a heavy action bar in order to slow down the ROF on a Reising. But it's not something you see on a regular basis. I've got a few ideas kicking around, but I thought before I put a lot of effort into it, I'd see if it was even worth pursuing.

The first issue you run in to is the need to relieve the stock so there is room for a larger action bar. This can leave the stock really thin and prone to breakage.

I have a cracked old "beater" stock that I bought some time ago. So for experimentation purposes, I "relieved" the entire front end of the stock. This gives me all the room I could want. Next, I cut out a mounting block to attach weights to. I used some 3/16" x 1-1/4" flat bar for the weights. I cut it in lengths, and then I could just add or remove them at the range to change the amount of weight on the action bar. The weights are secured using some high-strength, super-duper tacticool packing tape, so it was easy to add or remove weights. :wink:

I had a total of 22.75 oz., which I imagined to be way too much weight to allow the gun to cycle reliably. But I can work my way down from there.

At the range, I initially tried shooting it in semi-auto. It would fire, but would not eject the case. After a couple of these, I removed 5 oz. and tried again. Here it would eject, but would not pick up the next round. Finally, I removed all of the "small" weights, and had just the two longer weights. This ran very well. So I broke out the time and switched to full-auto.

I clocked it at 851 RPM without the weights, and got it down to 606 RPM with 15 oz. added. Unfortunately, it was not reliable with that much weight. The brass just kind of rolled out the ejection port, and an empty would occasionally get caught by the closing bolt. 12.75 oz. seemed to run well, giving an average ROF of 611 RPM (629 one time, and 595 the next).

Interestingly, at 600 RPM, I still can't seem to reliably pull singles. With many other guns, I can get singles in the 700+ RPM range. I'm sure it has to do with the geometry of the trigger group. I'm thinking adding an overtravel stop may help some, but with the Reising it may be the amount of trigger reset that makes it difficult to get off the trigger fast enough.

Anyway, here's some video so you can get an idea of what it's doing.

I could make a weight out of a solid piece of steel, shaped not much differently than just the wood mounting block.

The other interesting thing to come out of this, it is much easier to charge the firearm with the big wooden block on the action bar. I've got an idea to try an build a completely new stock. It would be wider up front for better strength with the clearances necessary for a weight-added action bar. I think I might scallop out the bottom and shape the weight such that it becomes a nice wide "handle" for the action bar.

Yes - a shooter would need to be aware of the big moving mass in front of the magwell. But the gun seems pretty comfortable to shoot, supporting behind the magwell.

todd
Site Admin
What number appears twice below: 0

Re: Slowing down the Reising

Post by todd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:38 pm

Dude this is awesome! I love it when yo tinker. If it were me I'd get a piece of tungsten and put that on there. It might be dense and heavy enough you could use a small bit of tungsten and then put a hand guard over it .

Nice work!

smkummer
What number appears twice below: 0

Re: Good job

Post by smkummer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:25 am

This is something Reising could have done in the first place. If Reising made the action bar alone heavier, it would have done the trick. Maybe he would have gotten more interest from officials if the gun was slower. I would add that I have cracked one leg of my original action bar at the rear but I have shot probably 20K rounds through mine. I believe your set-up will lead to pre-mature failure of the action bar.

Although, in the real world if someone wants to slow down the reising, place the selector on S/A! In F/A, it does such a nice 3 round burst to the target. Personally I like the Reising just as it is.