Machine Gun matches

Everything from training tips to firearm discussion for competitors. What have you learned that you can share and what do you want to know?
Garrett

Machine Gun matches

Post by Garrett » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:49 am

Someone was asking over on AR15.com about rifle-caliber machine gun matches. While there are a number of subgun matches being held around the country, there are very few matches that cater to rifle-caliber MGs.

While I don't own a rifle-caliber MG, I still find it an interesting discussion. I made a couple of comments there, but I thought it might be of interest to people here.

I still like the idea of setting up a belt-fed bonus array at the Creek subgun match some time. We'd need a few self-resetting steel targets that can handle rifle rounds. That, and someone that wouldn't mind bringing along a belt-fed (have an SOT bring a posty, maybe).

But it could be a fun setup.

klyph12
What number appears twice below: 9

Re: Machine Gun matches

Post by klyph12 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:19 am

Mickey Thompson does a monthly belt fed match in AZ at Rio Salados

Paul Winters
What number appears twice below: 0

Re: Machine Gun matches

Post by Paul Winters » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:35 am

Many years ago, before the subgun match expanded from Friday only to both Friday and Saturday, there was a match for belt fed and rifle caliber full auto rifles. At first, the challenge was to cut a 4x4 post in half, but due to knots and different wood consistency, this was changed to helium balloons held by string attached to a 2x4. It seems it was two groups of 3 or 4 balloons. The balloons would actually duck or move when a bullet came close. This was also a little inconsistent depending on the balloon action in the wind. A shooter who got a brief moment when the balloons were not moving in the wind had a much better chance than one trying when the wind had them dancing around. I played a couple of times, but it seemed more chance. I was a loader on Joe's 1919 and we went though a belt without hitting them all. T & E was useless and needed to be disengaged to have free movement. Also played with a 16, but it was a challenge in the wind at about 75-100 yards.

Just a little Creek history.

Paul : -)#